Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Reaching out in the Love of Christ

9For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 10Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.  11Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.  -I Thessalonians 5:9-11 (KJV) 

You don’t have to look too far to find a news story about someone losing his or her temper.  These are difficult and troubled times and often peoples’ tempers get the best f them.  I read the other day about a man who disputed a bill he had received from his doctor’s office.  When the $25.00 bill could not be resolved to the man’s satisfaction he went to the doctor’s office and proceeded to pour 2500 pennies onto the secretary’s desk.  He was arrested for disorderly conduct.  Now he undoubtedly has more to think about than the original $25.00 bill. 

Many if not most of us can relate to such frustration.  Admit it; have you ever felt like doing something like what this man did?  Such thoughts have crossed my mind at times, yet I realize there are better ways to resolve a conflict.  Christ calls us and compels us to seek a prayerful, thoughtful, and gentle approach to the trials we face so that Christ may be glorified in us and we will receive spiritual victory.  Indeed, life isn’t fair, and these trials are going to come our way.  However, the more we seek the Lord the more spiritual power we have for taking the Christ-like approach.   

Earlier today I had to visit the DMV to have my driver’s license renewed, and even though there were only a handful of people in front of me it was taking a long time.  I kept thinking it would be nice if they could develop a system wherein more people could be processed faster.  When my turn came, however, I did not allow my frustration to show, but instead sought to be pleasant with the lady who handled my transaction.  In the course of our brief conversation she found out I am a pastor.  We had been joking about driver’s license pictures, wearing glasses, and getting older, yet just before I left the counter the woman became serious.   

“Would you please pray for me?”  She asked.  “I am having some problems and it would mean a lot to me if you remembered me in prayer.”  She told me her name and I promised to pray for her.  Had I allowed my frustration to control me I would have missed out on an opportunity to minister to someone in need. 

When we reach out in Jesus’  name we overcome, for Christ already has won the victory.  Now go and claim the victory today.  Let Jesus Christ shine through at all times.  Countless people need to know there is hope in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment