Monday, June 6, 2011

Building on the Right Foundation

11For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. -I Corinthians 3:11-13 (KJV) 

I once met a man who described the challenges of building his own house.  I asked him where he learned how to do construction.  He replied that he learned the craft from his father and had also picked up the needed skills along the way as he worked and learned.  I point this out because I can barely drive a nail in straight, let alone build a house from the ground up.  As with many other skills, being able to build a house involves possessing God-given talent in this area. 

While I wouldn’t know where to begin with building a house I do understand building a house requires a solid foundation.  Were I to build my house on unstable and loose soil the house I built would have problems.  Jesus compared our lives with the construction of a house built on a solid foundation.  “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock” (Matthew 7:24).  Jesus stated if we build our spiritual houses on loose and shaky ground we will be unable to stand when the storms of life come.  However, when we build upon a solid foundation the house will remain standing even during the worst storms.   

Jesus Christ is the solid rock, the strong foundation, upon which we can build our lives.  Build on any other foundation and we are going to encounter problems and difficulties, for the house will not stand when the storms of life come our way.  Those storms will indeed come, yet with Christ as the foundation we will remain standing.  Many believers today need a strengthening of their spiritual houses.  If we are in Christ then we have the proper foundation.  The challenge is to reinforce the house with prayer, worship, the Word of God, and daily devotion to the Lord.   

Yesterday during the morning worship time I preached on the subject of the power of 40 days in the Bible.  I also relayed, as I have done in this blog, the profound spiritual impact my 40 day prayer journey had on my life.  My personal prayer journey involved 40 straight days of rising at 4:15 AM for an extended time of morning prayer.  I am continuing to reap the benefits of this wonderful experience.  After the service a dear elderly lady told me she is contemplating taking up the 40 day challenge.  I realize again how we are never to stop growing in our faith.   

Walking with Jesus Christ is an every day, long-term, and ongoing challenge.  Never let up and do not back down.  Seek the Lord each day and strengthen your spiritual house.

No comments:

Post a Comment