Sunday, June 26, 2011

Handling Life’s Little Frustrations

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.  -Jeremiah 29:11 (KJV) 

I will never understand clothing manufacturers.  A few months ago I bought a new suit and the pockets on the pants and the jacket were sown shut.  I have to wonder whose idea this is.  I mean, is this some sort of cruel joke?  I need those pockets.  My, what a hassle to have to take a pair of sharp scissors and carefully cut open the thread holding the pocket shut without damaging the fabric.  Why in the world do they do this?  For the moment I have no answer to this question and I only know it causes me frustration when I have to cut those pockets open. 

These little frustrations which come about in daily life can get to us, and if we are not careful we will find ourselves getting extremely upset about them.  It helps if we can place these situations in their proper perspective.  For example, the other morning I had to give my son a ride to work.  He was carrying in his hand a cup of coffee he had just poured and as he was getting in the car he dropped the coffee, which spilled on his pants and shoes.  He was fairly upset, and it was an opportunity to remind him of having the right perspective, or as I like to call it “divine perspective.”  I reminded him that if this was the biggest problem he faced for the day he would be in great shape.  There are a numerous situations we could face which pale in comparison to a spilt cup of coffee – or pockets sown shut on a new suit.   

God has promised us that He is ever working on our behalf to bring us peace and not evil.  God has promised to bring about good in our lives if we will trust Him.  This makes me think; God Almighty, the Creator of the universe, the One who holds the world in His hands, is thinking about me.  And what He thinks about me is good, not evil.  The plans He has for me will work to His glory and my benefit.  Mine is to trust in Him and wait patiently for His will to be done.   

Sometimes when I pray I can’t help but think of how I am only one person in world inhabited by around 6 billion.  And yet God still thinks of me, knows me, takes time to listen when I pray, cares about what hurts and concerns me, and is ever working on my behalf.  This is not only humbling, but it also brings great peace and comfort.   

Make no mistake about it, my friend; God thinks of you too, and what He thinks is good because He loves you.  Do not worry and do not fret.  God has a plan and you and I are a part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment