Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Truth is Always Better than Deception

A good man obtains favor from the LORD, but the LORD condemns a crafty man.  A man cannot be established through wickedness, but the righteous cannot be uprooted.   –Proverbs 12:2, 3 

A few years ago a man I had never met before stopped by the church one day and asked if he might speak with me.  He told me that he was new to the area and was wondering if the church might help him get on his feet with some financial help.  The man then told me how that he had begun work with a local company, and he then told me the name of his new employer.  “That’s great,” I told the man.  “I am familiar with this company and I happen to know the owner personally.”  The man told me he would get back with me within a few days.  Actually, that was the last time I ever saw him.

You can imagine what I did: I went immediately and called the business the man had mentioned and spoke with the owner.  He informed me that he had never heard of this individual and that he had indeed not hired anyone by that name.  For me, this was by no means an “Aha, I got you,” moment.  I felt some frustration that the man had so blatantly lied to me, but mostly I felt sadness that the man was not willing to just be honest.  Had he simply told me the truth then perhaps the church could have assisted him in some way.  Sadly, he thought that deception was the answer, but his ruse quickly unraveled. 

The Word of God teaches that when we seek the Lord and are persons of honesty and integrity that we obtain the Lord’s favor.  What does this mean?  Obtaining the Lord’s favor means that we walk with the blessing of God upon our lives; every area of life is positively affected.  We can move forward in confident faith without having to worry about some lie or past sin finally catching up with us.  What a wonderful experience to live in the Lord’s blessing with a clear conscience.  From this standpoint of victorious faith the light of the Lord Jesus Christ can shine freely from our lives.    

Living according to the principles found in God’s Word means that by faith we reject the ungodly ways of the world and instead seek after truth, integrity, humility, love for others, and love for the Lord.  This is the way that our lives are firmly rooted and established.  Faith in Jesus Christ will help us to become all that the Lord has called us to be and to accomplish all that He has called us to do. 

Never give in to the lie that deception is better that the truth.  The truth is always best, the way of godliness is always preferable, and the light of Jesus Christ is always to be desired.  Follow the Lord, walk in His ways, and you will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment