Thursday, August 19, 2010

Believing the Lord Without Question

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. "Lord," he said, "my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering."  Jesus said to him, "I will go and heal him."  The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.  For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."  -Matthew 8:5-9

As I was pondering this passage of Scripture I was thinking about my old dog, Jenny.  She was the most obedient dog I have ever known.  Jenny could be walked without a leash, she would sit calmly beside me at Little League Games, and she would come immediately when I called her.  If I told her to stay she stayed, and if I told her to sit she obeyed.  Somehow in her limited intelligence she recognized me as a source of authority that was to be obeyed without question.

Here in Matthew 8 we see an example of one who understood authority.  The Bible shows us that when we recognize authority that we will obey without question and without hesitation.  Think for a moment; who are we willing to do that for?  If I was in a courtroom and a judge told me to be quiet, I had best do what he says. Otherwise I might wind up in jail, right?  I actually knew a man once who got into an argument with a judge over an impounded motorcycle.  That’s an argument you cannot win.  Since he could not keep his mouth shut he wound up spending about four days in jail; contempt of court, they call that, I believe.  

When we are in the presence of authority, we have to be willing to obey or face the consequences.  The Roman centurion was a man who understood perfectly the nature of authority, the reason being that he was a man of authority himself.  He transferred this understanding to a firm belief that the Lord had the authority over his servant's illness.  He believed upon the Lord without question, and in so doing he demonstrated the kind of faith that is desirable for followers of Christ.

When the Lord calls us will we come to Him?  When He sends us out to go and tell others of the salvation He offers will we go?  When we face the trials of life will we still believe and hold fast to our faith?  If our desire is vibrant and life-changing faith, then we will answer with an emphatic "yes."

Faith believes, trusts, and obeys God at all times.  Look to the Lord today and find the joy and blessings of genuine faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment