Monday, August 30, 2010

Some Needed Hands-on Instruction

Then the king of Assyria gave this order: "Have one of the priests you took captive from Samaria go back to live there and teach the people what the god of the land requires."  So one of the priests who had been exiled from Samaria came to live in Bethel and taught them how to worship the LORD.  –II Kings 17:27, 28 

My grandfather passed away when I was about eleven years old, but I have a wonderful memory of him.  One summer he came to visit and it so happened that I was just old enough to begin attempting to ride a bicycle without training wheels.  For an entire morning my grandfather held the bike while I climbed on, then he pushed and got me started, and I would ride about 50 feet or so down the sidewalk.  I would then get off the bike, walk it back and we would start over again.  After a day of this I was able to ride the bike by myself.  I treasure that memory; I needed someone to show me how to ride a bicycle and some hands-on assistance is always best.

The Scripture says in II Kings 17 that the Israelites had been overtaken by the Assyrians, and after a time it was reported that the Israelite people in Samaria were no longer worshipping the Lord.  The king of Assyria, in an incredible act of sympathy for the people, sent a priest of the Lord to go and instruct them on how to worship God.  The priest of the Lord was then able to provide the people with hands-on instruction about how to worship the Living God.  Not everyone did worship and serve the Lord, but they had someone there to instruct those who desired to do so. 

Let us not forget that there are people all around us who lack a true understanding about what it means to truly worship the Lord.  They may have some vague notions about what goes on inside an evangelical church, but it all remains a mystery to them.  What is needed is a kind, compassionate, caring, and discerning person to show them the love of Jesus Christ and patiently instruct them in the faith.  No doubt there are people I our lives that could greatly benefit from some hands-on instruction in how to worship the Lord.

As we witness and reach out in the name of Jesus, pray about someone you know who doesn’t have a relationship with Christ.  Invite him or her to church, and then go along and offer patient and gentle instruction.  Just think; you and I can have the privilege being a sort of tour guide for someone who needs Jesus. 
   
We are always to be about reaching out in Jesus’ name.  By reaching out to others we become an active part of the gospel ministry.  My friends, that is always positive. 

Reach out in Jesus’  name today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment