Friday, August 13, 2010

True Verses Artificial Comfort

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  –Matthew 11:28, 29

I recall how about two years ago I was having an extremely bad day.  Nothing seemed to be going my way, problems were piling up, stress was building, and I felt as tense and ready to pop as I had in a long, long time.  After some careful thought I came to a conclusion; it was time do something drastic and out of character.  I went to the grocery store and purchased a tub of vanilla ice cream and a pound bag of M&M’s.  After arriving home I proceeded to scoop out a liberal portion of ice cream in a bowl and then poured on top about a fourth of the bag of M&M’s which I mixed furiously with a spoon.  

A little while later, my wife found me in the living room watching TV and eating that monstrous bowl of ice cream and M&M’s.  “What are you doing?” she asked.  “Are you going to eat that entire bowl of ice cream?” “Listen honey,” I calmly explained.  “I don’t drink, so ice cream is all I’ve got at the moment.” She just rolled her eyes and left the room.  It’s funny, though; that bowl of ice cream was fairly comforting. 
 
Now, I am not advocating gluttony, although we all probably understand the meaning of “comfort food,”  right?  Sometimes when we are down and out a piece of cake, some cookies, a candy bar, chocolate fudge, or my ice cream and M&M’s concoction can truly hit the spot and bring some temporary comfort.  Sadly, countless people daily look to far more dangerous forms of relief and comfort.  They turn to drugs and alcohol, both of which only compound their existing problems.  When the trials of life become too much and the burdens we bear become too heavy, then the best relief is found in placing our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus promised that He would gladly lift our burdens from our shoulders.  If we will hand our problems and stresses over to Him we will find a blessed release.  We do not have to bear our burdens alone, for Christ is perfectly willing to make our load a little lighter.  The problems will not disappear, but we will have a strength which we previously did not possess.
 
What is troubling you today?  Where are you looking for comfort?  Lay aside any synthetic form of comfort you may be contemplating and look to Jesus Christ.  Do not give up and do not surrender.  The Lord knows and He understands.  Look to Him today. 

Jesus is waiting to offer true and real help.  You will not be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment