Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Commitment to Become More Positive

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? -Matthew 7:3

Keep in mind that not everyone who is enjoying life is only pretending to do so. Countless people actually are having a grand time as they pursue a happier life. It is not artificial; they are truly glad to be here and are taking advantage of the occasion to join in on the celebration. How do they do it? What motivates them to keep on dancing even when they might not feel like it? Being optimistic and positive requires tremendous energy. Anyone can be negative and cynical. No effort whatsoever is required. Hatred, envy, bitterness, jealousy, meanness, and rudeness can be accomplished effortlessly by almost anyone at any time. Most people of this description are sad, lonely, and miserable. By hurting others and driving away people who might have helped them, they continually hone their skills at negativity.

Those enjoying life have made a commitment not to surrender to this gloomy condition. Make the promise to yourself that you will sincerely try, with God’s help, to rise above the negativism that exists all around us. Those trapped in this state are missing out on what could be a wonderful party.

Be careful not to resent a cheerful person that you know or meet. Such folks are, in Jesus’ definition, salt and light in the world. They are salt, enhancing our lives, and light, illuminating an otherwise dull day.

As a seminary student, a fine Christian man I’ll call Paul came into my life. When first we met, his enthusiasm for life and ministry, and his friendliness towards everyone, were overwhelming. Regrettably, I refused to believe that anyone could ever be that happy and joyful. In my spiritual immaturity I convinced myself that it was all an act. I went on to tell myself that Paul was probably not really a nice man, but that he was actually a snobby sort who would walk over the top of me rather than speak to me. I have since prayed that God would forgive me for my unfair judgment and assessment of this man. My impressions about him were proven totally false. It was as though the Lord was out to show me just how mistaken I was.

One day I was on my way to class when I heard someone calling my name from the other end of the hallway. I looked up and saw that it was Paul. He hurried up to me with a grin on his face and an outstretched hand. “Brother Dan,” he said, shaking my hand furiously. “I saw you and wanted to say hello. How are you doing? What about your wife? Is she getting along all right? Man, it’s good to see you – you are looking great!” I could only stand there gaping and nodding my head as Paul shook my hand and barraged me with compliments and well wishes for my family and me. Finally he released my hand, thumped me on the shoulder good-naturedly, bade me farewell, and was off to class. I could only stand there wondering what in the world brought that on.

But it didn’t stop there. Every time Paul saw me he would go out of his way to be nice to me. He always had a pleasant word of encouragement, a friendly smile, and a warm handshake. This scenario was repeated many times until something began to dawn on me; Paul wasn’t pretending. He was honestly concerned about my family and how things were going in my life. I had to face the realization that I had terribly misjudged this good man. When it came to decent and Christ-like people, Paul was the real deal. In the end Paul and I became good friends. He was a reliable source of encouragement during our years of study together.

Don’t ever pass up an opportunity to have a Paul in your life. He and those like him are lighthouses in the storms that we must frequently navigate. They make up a portion of the population about whom this book is written. They are at the party and are ever looking for others to join in with them. Be sure not to give up on joining the ranks of those who have decided to come on board and be a part of the celebration. It is to our benefit to build into our lives as many people like Paul as possible. We can draw from their good nature and positive attitudes, and we will be encouraged by their friendliness and good will.

No comments:

Post a Comment