Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Value of Truth

Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me. Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause. Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.  –Psalm 25:1-5 (KJV)

The heart of Psalm 25 is the desire for the truth of God to reign in the heart.  We as humans will sometimes struggle with holding to the truth.  Consider that we do not have to teach a child to lie.  This seems to come naturally.  Ask a child if he ate the chocolate chip cookie he wasn’t supposed to have.  Many a child will say no, even though there is chocolate all over his mouth.  Not telling the truth seems more natural to us than telling the truth.  David’s desire was to have God’s truth in his heart at all times.  The way we accomplish this is to have the Holy Spirit residing in our hearts 

What a blessing we have as Christians.  We have the Holy Spirit abiding within us.  In the days before the grace of God in Christ entered the world the people of God, who were under the law, had to strive to live up to God’s holy standards.  When they failed, which they often did, they feared of having the Holy Spirit taken from them.  Psalm 51:10 says, “Create in me a clean heart oh God, and renew a right spirit within me.  Cast me not from thy presence oh Lord, and take not thy Holy Spirit from me.  But restore unto me the joy of thy salvation.” God gave the Holy Spirit, He moved in the heart of the believer, yet the Spirit did not indwell (abide) with believers.  Today, thanks to the redemptive work of Christ on the cross, the Holy Spirit has come to abide.  Abide means to remain with us, live with us, and stay with us forever.

In God our fears are overcome.  We can walk forward in faith.  David had very real enemies; there were dangerous men that wanted him dead.  Consider how hurtful this was for David to have a man he had thought of as a father turn on him and want him dead.  This was what happened with King Saul.  He and David had a relationship much like a father and son.  Unfortunately, dark forces overcame Saul and he gave into them.  He became jealous of David to the point of seeking his life.  On two occasions, David could have killed Saul, but he refused to do so because he would not lift a hand against a man whom the Lord had anointed. 

We do well to desire such integrity.  The Lord honors lives devoted to Him and lived in faithfulness.  So, you think this impossible?  In our strength, it is.  However, remember with God all things are possible.  God blesses a close, daily walk with the him.

God bless you today.