Thursday, May 16, 2013

Christ’s Overpowering Love

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.  –Ephesians 3:19 (KJV)

I have been contemplating lately the power of Christ’s love.  The love of Christ functions in the heart of the believer.  This love then radiates from us and around us.  Jesus said this is how the world will know we are His disciples, if we love one another (John 13:35).  If we are truly in Christ, His love will be evident in our lives.  I can say I love my wife, yet I demonstrate my love in tangible ways.  I help around the house, I tend to her if she is sick, we spend time together, and I do something nice for her on anniversaries and birthdays.  The same goes with my love for family, friends, the church, and those around me who do not know Christ.  We prove love’s authenticity through demonstration. 

Christ did this for the world through sacrificing His life on the cross of Calvary.  Through faith, His love instills itself in the deepest recesses of the heart.  It occurred to me that being empowered by Christ’s love might not be descriptive enough.  I now think in terms of Christ’s love overpowering us.  I have heard people speak of falling into a sin as though they had no power or control of themselves.  They speak correctly, for the flesh also overpowers people.  If we are not careful, the power of the flesh carries us away leaving us helpless to resist.  The consequences can be catastrophic with the loss of marriage, family, and fellowship with God. 

The good news is Christ’s love also overpowers the believer.  Through faith, we walk in the Spirit rather than the flesh, and we walk in faith rather than self.  This overpowering love is Christ’s love functioning in us.  Such love produces peace, for love drives out hatred.  Christ’s love produces joy, for love overcomes worry.  Christ’s love instills confidence, for love overcomes anything which produces bitterness, doubt, and fear.  My prayer for you is to experience the overpowering love of Christ today.  It makes all the difference.

God bless you.