Monday, May 13, 2013

Thanks Mom, for Everything

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.  –Proverbs 31:30 (KJV)

Another Mother’s Day is past and I again have reflected on how blessed I am to have such a wonderful mother.  Along with being a person of faith, my mother is a dear person who has always loved her family and would do anything for us.  Mom has always been more concerned with others, especially her family, than herself.  Like the woman described in Proverbs 31, my mother has always loved God, loved her family, been a hard worker, and willing to help others in need. 

When I was growing up there were a few hard and fast rules.  These included, but were not limited to, no smoking, no drinking, and no animals in the house.  I have chuckled about how if through some turn of events I had to move back in with my parents these same rules would still be very much in force.  A mom’s job is extremely difficult.  We all need a mother who loves us, and mom gets to be the person who loves us no matter what.  Someone has said home is the place you go when you have nowhere else to go.  Whoever said this must have understood that a mother would be among the first to receive you back. 

My mother always had a colorful way with words; “You and your brother sound like a couple of rhinoceroses crashing through the house!”  
Mom always understood when a sense of urgency was needed; “If you aren’t out of that bed in the next five minutes you are going to get it!”
Mom always had a way of placing things in proper perspective; “I know you think having to learn math is useless, but when you grow up you will use it every day (she was right).”  

I am forever grateful for the lessons she taught me and the love she showed me.  I am also grateful my mother is still here and we get to talk often.  Regardless of whether your mother is with the Lord or you are fortunate enough to still have her here, stop and be thankful for all she taught you.  I read an article recently where someone posed the question as to why we grow up and become so much like our parents.  The writer suggested the reason for this is whether we admit it or not we admire them.  For me, this is true.  Mom, I truly do admire you.  Thanks for everything.

God bless you today.