Friday, April 5, 2013

Prayer and God’s Word; the Perfect Combination

But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.  –Acts 6:4 (KJV)

I wrote the other day how I had traveled to western North Carolina last week to visit old friends and enjoy a couple of days rest.  As I was driving through Asheville I recalled how there is a Dunkin’ Doughnuts along the way, so I thought I would treat myself.  I have shared before how I hold to a strict regimen of diet and exercise, but every now and then it’s nice to enjoy a tasty doughnut, or three.  Since we do not have a Dunkin’ Doughnuts in Bristol, I thought I would take advantage of the occasion.  And they were delicious.  What I did not know was that Dunkin’ Doughnuts has a new breakfast sandwich.  Apparently, you can now have bacon and eggs, not on a biscuit or toast, but on a glazed doughnut.  Sorry, but I do not think I will be trying one anytime soon.  I can almost feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it.

Certain foods go well together, but others not so well.  The same can be said of certain practices and disciplines.  Acts 6 shows how a dispute came about in the early church over the daily distribution of food for the needy.  The Apostles made the wise decision to appoint godly people to handle this ministry so they could devote themselves to other ministries of the church.  Their desire was to pursue prayer and the Word of God.  Here are two aspects of the Christian faith which go hand in hand and perfectly together.  Each compliments the other.  

Daily prayer and time in the Word are vital to maintaining sound spiritual health.  Many believers neglect these important disciplines and they do so to their own detriment.  Prayer and God’s Word are essential to our Christian growth.  Furthermore, as we grow in prayer and the Word, we also grow in peace, joy, patience, love, and all the fruit of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5:22, 23. 

As we grow in faith we become better equipped to serve the Lord and to cope with the problems life brings our way.  Adding to our daily routines the discipline of prayer and God’s Word is akin to plants having water and sunshine.  The result is life, growth, and health.  They thrive as intended.  Our faith in Jesus Christ thrives when watered with prayer and placed in the blessed light of God’s Word.

Seek to start each day with this blessed combination.  You will not regret it.

God bless you today.