Monday, April 8, 2013

Deprived of Sleep by the Worries of Life

How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me? Consider and hear me, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death; -Psalm 13:2, 3 (KJV)

The other night I spent a difficult night suffering from the age-old problem of insomnia.  I usually sleep well; within minutes of my head touching the pillow, I drift off to sleep.  However, the other night my body and my mind had different plans.  After an hour or two of tossing and turning, I got up and went out to the living room to try to start my night over again.  The situation only deteriorated as I could not relax and fall asleep.  Eventually, I fell asleep on the couch and slept fitfully at best.  Have you ever had a night like this?  If so, you know how frustrating it can be.

Psalm 13 speaks of the troubles which can enter the heart causing sorrow and yes, sleepless nights.  This is the result of fear and worry, for these insidious forces can settle in our minds and rob of us peace and joy.  Our problems can so multiply that when we most need rest we are unable to sleep, regardless of how tired we are.  A friend of mine was telling me how one night his wife was having trouble sleeping.  She admitted that she felt overwhelmed by all the pressure and challenges she was facing.  She wondered aloud why during the night we are so vulnerable to worry and fear.  Her husband wisely answered that the devil loves the darkness, and this is when he is liable to attack. 

Like David the psalmist, we too can feel overwhelmed with the trials we are facing and we begin to wonder if we will ever get through them.  Take heart, for there is a divine resource of spiritual comfort the Lord will provide through faith in Christ.  We have the resources of prayer, the Word of God, and unquestioning faith.  The next time you are having trouble sleeping, take a moment and ask the Lord to calm your heart.  Trust God to bring the peace you desire.  Believe the promise of the Lord that He will never leave us nor forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6). 

Seek the calming presence of Christ.  The Lord knows we need rest.  Resolve to not worry at the time when your body needs sleep.  Find a verse and claim it as you lie awake in your bed.  Psalm 23 is ideal.  “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me beside the still waters, He resoreth my soul…”

God is near.  Trust in Him and rest in His comforting presence.  You are not alone, for the Lord is with you.

God bless you today – and tonight as you rest.