Friday, April 12, 2013

Filled to Overflowing

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. 13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.  –Jeremiah 29:11-13 (KJV)

I am just old enough to remember the days of paper bags at the grocery store.  I miss those paper bags.  Now we have these plastic bags that seem to accumulate in the hundreds in various places in the house.  We have a larger bag hanging just inside the basement door, but it’s always overflowing.  Try as I might, I cannot find enough uses for them.  I use them as trash bags in the bathrooms and for other various odds and ends, yet as I said, we always have an over abundance of them. 

Andrea has a number of cloth bags we often take to the grocery store, but these are not designed for their system of bagging and usually it takes longer at the checkout.  Some cashiers take it in stride as if supporting our efforts at being environmentally friendly.  Others appear to be groaning inwardly as they fill our cloth bags with our groceries.  Some people just do not appreciate a good conservationist. 

Last week I had an inspiration.  I recalled how at one of the supermarkets they have a large container in which people can place their unwanted plastic bags.  Since we have enough to fill a dump truck I thought I would relieve us of at least a few.  As we left for the store, I brought along one of our large plastic bags which was tightly filled with these little nuisances.  Andrea waited patiently by the store entrance as I placed the bags in the receptacle.   I glanced over and saw she had a look on her face that said, “What are you doing?” (I’ve seen that look many times).  It was then I realized I was taking the bags out of the larger one when I could have just thrown in the entire bag.  I quickly recovered, threw in the bag, and headed into the store.  Andrea’s only comment was, “I wondered when you’d figure that out.” I had no reply as none was needed.

I cannot help but think that countless people view their lives like those grocery bags; they are filled to overflowing, yet feel useless and empty.  A relationship with Jesus Christ fills our lives with the blessings of God.  As the Lord has promised in His Word, He has plans for us involving peace, joy, and hope.  The Lord’s desire is for our lives to be filled to overflowing with the abundance of His grace and blessings.  Understand these blessings can take all sorts of shapes and come in the most humble wrappings.  Through faith in Christ we learn the joy of having the Lord with us in the dark times of life, and we discover the true power of faith in the trials we face.  We are then empowered to “Count it all joy when we face diverse temptations (trials)” (James 1:2). 

God has a plan for your life, and it’s all good.  Believe it and trust in Him.

God bless you today.