Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The True Bread of Life

33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.  34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.  35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.  –John 6:33-35 (KJV)

Last summer a friend of mine offered to give me a bag of Amish friendship bread starter.  Have you ever had one of those moments where you felt inspired and far braver than you actually are, so you agreed to try something a little out of the ordinary?  I had one of those moments and so I decided to try my hand at making Amish friendship bread.  My readers who are experienced in this area will understand when I say that making this bread can quickly become a chore.  You have to work with it a little every day for about ten days, and then you make the bread, which is no small task.  I was about half way through the process when I came home one day to discover one of our dogs, I think Leon was the culprit, had managed to get the bag of started off the counter.  The bag was in tatters, the sweet sticky starter had been licked from the floor, and even the instructions had apparently been eaten.  Both of our dogs, Ada and Leon, looked guilty, but they had obviously enjoyed themselves very much.

I thought this was the end of my Amish friendship bread experience, but not so.  My friend happened to have another bag of starter, which she gladly gave me.  In the end I made Amish friendship bread, I had five bags of starter to give away, and few people were willing to take them off my hands.  I now understand why.

When I think of the work involved with this bread, I cannot help but consider what Jesus said about being the bread that gives life to the world.  Jesus referred in John 6 to the manna God used to feed His people the Israelites during their 40 years of wandering in the wilderness.  They ate of this divine bread, yet they became hungry again.  Jesus said that the bread He offers, which is Himself, would fully satisfy the hunger and longing of the human soul.  Our hearts are filled to overflowing when we partake of the bread Jesus Christ offers, which is a personal relationship with Him.  Nothing will fill the void of our lives like Jesus Christ.  Anything else we try will leave us unfulfilled, but Christ indeed fills our lives with the blessings of God and the abundant life.

I have no way of knowing what sort of difficulties and problems you are facing right now.  However, I do know there is hope in the Lord.  Jesus promised to help, empower, comfort, and strengthen us as we walk the troubled roads of life.  We do not have to walk in fear and anxiety, for the Spirit of God will give us give us power to walk in victory.  When we are looking to the Lord and trusting Him our problems, as many as there are, somehow seem smaller and more manageable. 

Keep your eyes on Jesus today.  Focus on Him and His power.  The promise of God is that He will bring us through whatever trial we are facing, and we will come through stronger on the other side.

God bless you today.