Saturday, January 12, 2013

Peace in the Midst of a Confusing World

17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.  18 He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me.  –Psalm 55:17, 18 (KJV)

The weather today in southwest Virginia is supposed to be near 70 degrees, which is warm for January.  I will not complain about this as I enjoy warmer weather.  What I cannot say is what this temperature translates into on the Celsius scale.  All I know about Celsius is that 32 degrees Fahrenheit is the same as 0 degrees Celsius.  Beyond that, I am lost.  I recall being in the 3rd or 4th grade and just beginning to grasp the concept of distance and measurements.  The light began to shine in my mind about millimeters, feet, yards, and miles.  I was feeling very proud of myself.  Then, I began hearing rumors about our nation converting to some bizarre system of measurement called the metric system, and this certainly changed everything.  “Whose idea was this?”  I thought frantically.  “I was just getting the hang of it and now you are changing it?”
 
There was a teacher or two, who probably did not comprehend it any better than I did, who made passing references to the metric system, but eventually the talk about it ceased altogether.  We gave it a go in later years when interstate road signs showed miles and kilometers, but the powers that be must have decided we Americans are too set in our ways to become like the Europeans, so they ended that experiment too.  Perhaps future generations will tackle it, but for the time being it seems to have lost steam.

I remember how confused I was about the entire system, for my way of viewing the world, was changing.  The thought filled me with dread.  Life can take a similar turn when problems, anxiety, and uncertainty about the future crowds into our minds.  Where and how do we find peace in the midst of it all?  The Word of God reminds us that God hears us when we seek Him, and He is able to delivers us from the personal struggles we often encounter.  God will deliver us, make us stronger, and fill us with His peace in the process.  We know we live an evil and fallen world, and if we are faithful, we will look to the Lord for empowerment and strength to help us through and give us the peace we desire. 

Whatever you are facing today, whether is it problems related to family, finances, employment, depression, anxiety, or plain old worry, please know you are not alone.  Christ came into the world to bear our sins and our struggles.  A personal relationship with Jesus Christ helps us to make sense of the troubled world in which we live.  Seek the Lord, for He will hear.  Look to God, for He cares for you and will bring you through whatever you are facing.  Do not give up.

God bless you today.