Thursday, January 24, 2013

Prayer Time or Technology?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?  32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.  33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.  34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.  –Matthew 6:31-34 (KJV)

I sometimes wonder what God thinks about all our technology.  Something our technology has done is cause us to be a little more distracted than we already are.  Have you had a cell phone go off in church lately?  Was your prayer time interrupted by an incoming text message?  What about a conversation with a friend which was interrupted by a text or call?  Did the conversation you were having cease while one of you replied or took the call?  Are you like millions of Facebook users who admit to checking their status first thing in the morning even ahead of going to the bathroom?

If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions then you indeed need a break from the daily distractions of technology.  Personally, I have moments where I would not mind if we still used 8-track tapes and rotary phones.  Anyone under 30 reading this is probably thinking, “What are 8-track tapes?”  I also tend to stay a few years behind the latest technology.  My cell phone does not have a camera (I know many of you just let out an audible gasp of disbelief), I do not have an Ipad (another gasp), and the desktop PC in my home office runs Windows XP.  That last one probably made some of you fall right out of your chairs.

Admittedly, I am living in the dark ages, technologically speaking.  I will not even get into the fact that my TV cable only has about 18 channels and we still do not have caller ID on our phone, but that’s all fodder for another blog post.  The point of all this is a daily walk with Christ involves taking time to commune with the Lord – each day.  Take a bold step of faith and allow all this technology to lay idle a little while so that you may commune with God as friend to friend.  I have always spent time every day in prayer, but two years ago I recommitted myself to this vital spiritual discipline.  I began rising earlier each day, well before daylight, for the sole purpose of prayer and meditation on the Scriptures.   This practice has had a profound influence on my attitude, outlook, ministry, family relationships, and my relationship with the Lord.  If I can do this, then so can you.  I am confident it will make all the difference in your life.

Jesus said to seek Him first.  When we do this, everything else lines up in its proper place.  You will not regret spending more time in prayer and in the Word. 

God bless you today.