Sunday, April 25, 2010

Reaching out in Love to Those Around us

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"  Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."  -Matthew 22:36-40 

I grew up in a suburb of Dayton, Ohio and my neighborhood was composed of some colorful people.  Most of them were nice folks.  They would lend a helping hand when needed and would often stop and say hello.  Sadly, my memories of one neighbor in particular are not positive.  Mr. C. lived a few doors down from us and I would sometimes see him walking on the sidewalk going to or from the neighborhood grocery store (I’m just old enough to have lived in the time of Mom and Pop grocery stores which have all but disappeared thanks to the corporate super-market retail chains).  Mr. C. did not ever smile or say hello to me when I would pass him on the sidewalk.  He always kept his head down, his pace quick, and hurried on by.  If someone did say hello he would act as if he hadn’t heard.  Not once did I ever see him out in the yard chatting with a neighbor, and not one time do I remember him sitting on his front porch in the evening as was so common in those days. 

Many years ago I learned that Mr. C. had passed away.  My first thought was, “I wonder how many people attended his funeral?”  I have a suspicion that the number would have been sparse at best.  Mr. C. apparently closed himself off from others and did not allow people into his life.  He did not permit himself to be connected with others, which is a vital part of the human experience.  I have sometimes in my preaching used the word “connectedness” to describe the importance of having relationships in our lives.  Being connected to other people provides a network of support and cooperation thus allowing us to help one another and in turn be helped when the need arises.  Deliberately shutting ourselves off from those around us is indeed a sad way to go through life.  It also goes against what Jesus taught about shining His light to the world. 

Jesus taught that when we love God, our love will then be extended to our neighbors.  We reach out with a helping hand, we demonstrate the love of the Lord which is in us, and in so doing we build connections.  This Christ-centered “connectedness” facilitates our shining forth the love of the Lord to those around us.  I have found that the best therapy for a troubled soul is to reach out in love to those around us.  Smile more often, say hello to a neighbor, do something nice for someone, or take a few moments and pass the time of day with someone who lives close by.  

Do you love the Lord?  Prove it – by loving your neighbor.