I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me all around. –Psalm 3:5, 6
Often when I am talking with someone and trying offer encouragement, I realize I have no idea the true depths of despair the person may be experiencing. He or she may be teetering on the edge of giving up on life altogether. It may be that the person you speak kind and encouraging words to today may be hanging onto life by a slender thread, and your words could mean the difference between life and death. Who knows that the person we bump into at the bank or grocery store may be so mired in sorrow that checking out of this world is beginning to look like a viable solution.
Several years ago, an acquaintance of mine stopped by the church office to see me. I had known this man to be a hard worker, family man, and by all outward appearances emotionally solid. He sat down in my office and began to speak of the internal struggles he was facing. Through tears he confessed he believed his family and the world at large would be better off without him. I sought to convince him that this wasn’t the case. “Your family needs you,” I assured him. “People all around you need you,” I said. I sat there hoping and praying my words rang true and hit home. I am glad to say the man is still here, and while I don’t see him very often, he is still among us, which means he is fighting the good fight of moving forward with life.
Maybe you have felt like the man I spoke with. Perhaps you have experienced the hopelessness of despair and sorrow. Let me assure you like I assured him that the world is a better place with you in it. God has a wonderful plan for your life. With this in mind, let me share today my ten reasons life is worth living. Some of these overlap a little, but I pray they are an encouragement to you.
1. Life will get better; give it more time. You will be amazed at how life will have improved in a year from now.
2. You are an individual of immeasurable worth and potential.
3. You are not here by accident. You were created by God for a divine purpose.
4. You are stronger than you think you are.
5. There are people who love you and need you in their lives.
6. The world is a better place with you in it.
7. You may feel terrible, yet you will be happy again.
8. God is perfectly willing to help you. Ask and He will be there for you.
9. You possess gifts and talents from which others may benefit.
10. Joy is coming. Seek it and wait for it.
How may I pray for you today? Perhaps you just need to get something off your chest. As always, you may comment anonymously.
God bless you, it's going to be a great day!