Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Life Will Get Better. Give it More Time

For His anger is but for a moment,
His favor is for life;
Weeping may endure for a night,
But joy comes in the morning.  –Psalm 30:5

            Endless days stretch before you.  The little squares on the calendar mock you.  The hands of the clock appear to be your enemy.  Your mind is troubled with hard questions. 

            “How will I make it through today?” you wonder.  The question can go no further, for you dare not think too far ahead.  Attempting to think beyond right now is too painful.  It’s all you can do to make it through the next few moments.  Dark thoughts crowd into your mind.  They tell you lies.  In your anguish you begin to believe, even if it’s for only a moment, life will never get better.  You feel you are stranded on this island of misery with no hope of rescue.  You come to a harsh and desperate conclusion; life is no longer worth living.

            Stop right there.  You must cease from thinking in these terms.  Allow me to share with you a simple truth which explains why I am so serious about this.  Life will get better if you will give it more time.  Let’s not play with any shallow parables about time healing all wounds.  Right now you need something of greater substance.  Put away any thoughts, no matter how sketchy they may be, of doing something drastic, and give your life more time.  If you will heed this advice you will be amazed at the results.  One year from now you will be amazed at how your life will have improved. 

            I understand perfectly what it feels like to believe life is no longer worth living.  Joy is gone, happiness is a foreign idea, and peace is overshadowed by constant gloom and sorrow.  Simple tasks such as getting out of bed, shaving, showering, getting dressed, and facing the world all have become too much trouble.  Pursuits which once brought tremendous joy now seem pointless.  Lying in bed and sleeping look much more appealing.  In fact, if given the opportunity you would sleep all day every day.  You sleep because while in the twilight of dreams you no longer contemplate how miserable you feel.  Were you to relay all of this to me I would pat you on the shoulder, gently, calmly, and share with you my own dark battle with depression.  During my darkest days when I thought I could go no further and life would never get better I resolved, with God’s help, to hold to a simple truth; life will get better if I give it more time. 

            How long did it take for me until life got better?  My struggle lasted six long years, from 2000 until 2006.  However, I held to this certainty; life will get better.  Heading into the sixth year I again claimed this powerful principle.  I again reminded myself that one year from now my situation will have improved.  The following spring the light shined, the dark clouds parted, and with God’s help the climb out of sorrow, depression, and all the accompanying loneliness and despair began in earnest.  Each succeeding year has become brighter as I have learned how to better manage and overcome depression.

            You can accomplish this.  You will get better.  Life will improve.  Your situation can and will look brighter.  No matter how lonely and desperate you may feel do not give up.  Give it more time.  You will be amazed down the road how life has become better, brighter, and more hopeful.  You will live again and you will be happy.

            Does feeling better and living a happy and productive life appear impossible?  One year from now your life will have improved. 

            Take life one day at a time, one hour at a time, and if you have to do so, take life one minute at a time.  You will never know the joys which await you if you give up.

            Keep going, for life is worthy living and will get better.

            Your journey has just begun.

How may I pray for you today?  As always, you may comment anonymously. It's going to be a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment