Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wasted Time or God’s Will?

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted.  –Ecclesiastes 3:1, 2 (KJV)

The other day, my wife asked me to stop by the local post office to mail a small package for our son who is away at college.  I was already in a rush and trying to work my way through a hectic day when I arrived at the post office.  I was sad to see several people ahead of me and only one window open.  I saw the person at the window had a stack of what looked like priority envelopes and each one was taking a couple of minutes to process.  Therefore, I waited.  After about five minutes, I began to think, “Okay, five more minutes, and then I will leave.”  I had to, actually, or I would be late for my next commitment.  During that time, I quoted various scriptures, asked the Lord to show me what it was He was trying to teach me through the experience, and tried to be patient.

Finally, I had no choice but to leave with my package undelivered.  I left it with Andrea and she was able to get it mailed when she finished work.  Imagine our surprise when our son called that evening to announce he was coming home this weekend for a visit.  Had we known, we could have simply handed it to him this Saturday.  Life certainly can be frustrating sometimes!  However, my frustration became joy over a surprise visit with our son. 

This experience left me thinking I would like to have back the ten minutes I wasted standing in line at the post office.  Yet, was the time wasted?  God’s Word reminds us there is a time for everything.  When we are walking with Christ, He is leading the way.  What looks like wasted time to us can actually be the working of God’s plan.  God might have saved me from a calamity by having me stop by the post office.  On the other hand, the Lord might have given me yet another opportunity to learn love, grace, and godly patience. 

Make the most of the time we have in this world, for it will pass by in a moment.  Walk with the Lord in faith knowing He directs our lives. 

God bless you today.