Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sin that Lies at the Door

And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.  –Genesis 4:6, 7 (KJV)

There is a shed behind the church where I am pastor and in it we keep a collection of grass cutting equipment.  Since I take care of the grass around the church parsonage, I am in this shed ever so often.  I did something I realized was a mistake.  At the beginning of the season, there was a wasp’s nest forming, but I did not take the time to get rid of it.  As the summer wore on, the nest grew and I kept thinking I would bring down a can of wasp spray, but I never seemed to find the time.  I told a neighbor about the nest and he said his policy has been as long as a wasp nest does not bother him he will not bother them.  I laughed and said I did not believe this principle would work for me much longer.

As it turns out, I was correct.  The other evening I went into the shed to retrieve the lawn mower when a wasp did a sort of dive bomb at my head, which sent me running for safety.  The nest had grown to the size of a softball and was covered with a small swarm of angry looking wasps.  I knew I had to take action.  I went back to the house, brought back a can of wasp spray, and rid the shed of the wasps.  My mistake was waiting so long to confront the problem.

Consider how often sin is handled in the same manner.  We let it go thinking it will be all right, when all the while the problem is growing worse and getting larger.  We ignore sin and ungodliness to our own detriment.  Anytime we allow sin to continue in our lives we are in rebellion against God.  Furthermore, we are living a lie, for we convince ourselves we have control over the sin.  Eventually, we discover the sin controls us.  Cain of the Old Testament suffered the same problem.  Jealousy overcame him because of God’s acceptance of his brother’s sacrifice over his own.  The Lord warned Cain that sin was crouching at his door and desired to enslave him.  Eventually, sin consumed Cain and he murdered his own brother.  All of us face the problem of sin, but the good news is that through faith in Jesus Christ sin no longer rules us. 

By the power of Christ, we overcome sin and anything that hinders our forward progress of walking by faith.  The Word of God challenges us to examine ourselves and see if there is anything in our lives keeping us from a right relationship with God (II Corinthians 13:5).  When some sin, attitude, or habit is hindering our walk with Christ, we are empowered to rid ourselves of it.  Take a bold step of faith and trust Christ with all your life.  The result is vibrant and dynamic faith.

God bless you today.