4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. 5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord. –Psalm 4:4, 5 (KJV)
I wonder if followers of Christ understand what it means to stand in awe of God? This is a spiritual concept in which we come to realize the holiness of God. As we grow in this understanding, we grow in spiritual wisdom, for we come to better appreciate the power such wisdom brings. We stand in awe of God when we do the following:
- Praise the Lord for who He is.
- Praise the Lord for what He has done.
- Exalt Him in praise and prayer at all times. Psalm 34:1 says, “I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.”
- Praise and thank God no matter the circumstances of our lives. Recall Job’s attitude when unimaginable trials come upon him. He said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord (Job 1:21).”
- Be willing to listen when God speaks – and He will speak if we are listening.
Standing in awe of God brings to mind an increase of spiritual strength, wisdom, power, guidance, hope, peace, and joy. We are not just sitting there waiting for life to happen, but rather we are walking boldly forward in faith. Of course, there are times when we do nothing except wait, but even then, we are doing something; we are waiting on the Lord. Moreover, as we wait, we do so with expectation, faith, patience, and the firm belief God will do something bigger than we thought
Are you discouraged today? Go to God in prayer, get into His Word, do not worry, do not fret, and do not be afraid. Try trusting in the Lord and stand in awe of Him. You are going to be amazed.
God bless you today.