Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A View From the Mountaintop

Get thee up into this mountain Abarim, unto mount Nebo, which is in the land of Moab, that is over against Jericho; and behold the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel for a possession. -Deuteronomy 32:49 (KJV)

God is stretching me these days, and what a wonderful experience this is. As I grow older, I find I am much more willing to step out on faith in ways I might not have done say 20 or even 10 years ago. To me, this is exciting, because I see so clearly see the hand of God at work all around me. The Lord is working in peoples’ lives in many ways and I have been praying for this and waiting for it for a long time. As I said in another post, it takes time, grace, patience, and devotion to God to see the fruits of our efforts come to pass. Do not give up, but keep moving forward in God’s will, for He has a plan and calls us to stay with it - not in our strength, but in His.

Consider Moses, who waited 40 long years of leading the people through the wilderness to finally make it to the Promised Land. Once they were on the verge of entering that sacred place, which God promised as a land flowing with milk and honey, Moses found the end of his journey. No doubt he recalled what God had said Numbers 20:12 that he would not see the Promised Land because of his disobedience. He knew all right. However, I cannot help but wonder if maybe he thought along the way the Lord might change His mind. God, in His wisdom, kept the promises He had made to Moses. The people entered into the land, yet Moses was only allowed to see it from a distance. 

Seeing the land from a distance is something, and we have no record of Moses showing any bitterness towards God over this, yet it had to be disappointing. I am thankful that not only have I been permitted to view a number of God’s promises from a distance, but I also have the indescribable blessing of seeing them up close as they have become reality. Do not think you can rush this process, my friends, for it takes a lifetime.

Please let me encourage you today to trust God to lead you through whatever difficulties you may be facing. There is a Promised land of God’s greatest blessings we often see from a distance, yet getting there takes time. I am seeing many of them, yet I believe there are more to follow. You see, entering the Promised Land of God’s blessings is ongoing; as we walk forward into the fullness of God’s grace in Jesus Christ we keep on walking until the day Christ calls us home to be with Him.  Until that day comes, walk forward, look up, keep the faith, be strong in the Lord, and praise His name, for God is with you.
God bless you today.