Saturday, June 22, 2013

Waiting on the Lord

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.  –Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

I recall when my brother and I were small boys we were given a gift of Superman costumes complete with capes.  It was not Halloween, so I figure we must have pestered our parents to the point they relented and bought us the suits.  Superman was popular at the time, so the suits were all the rage.  I wish I had those costumes today in good condition as they might fetch a good price at an online auction.  My brother and I wore the suits for a number of days running around the house and the yard before the novelty wore off.  Something that also stands out in my memory of our Superman suit phase is the warning label on the costumes.  It read, “Warning, wearing these suits does NOT give the wearer the ability to fly.”

I was probably about eight at the time, and while I was no precocious genius, I remember thinking, “Are they serious?  Is this a joke?”  Even then, I could picture some poor kid climbing to the roof of the house and thinking that because he was wearing the Superman costume he could fly.  The results of such an experiment would have been at least tragic.  This may explain the eventual disappearance of the Superman costumes.

God’s Word promises that when we wait on the Lord our strength is renewed.  God is the One who renews us.  We are then empowered to soar upward and above whatever trial we are facing.  God strengthens us when we wait on Him and His perfect will.  This promised strengthening encompasses spiritual, physical, and emotional strength for moving forward and facing the challenges of life. 

So often we feel like giving up, yet God tells us to wait.  Many years ago, an older and wise pastor shared with me some wonderful advice.  He said that when I find myself facing challenges and problems in the church, do not start looking for another church.  “Wait,” he said.  “Wait on the Lord and see what happens.  Don’t leave, but instead wait and see.” I have practiced this more times than I can recall and the result is over 17 years of ministry in the same church.  God has truly brought us through many trials and it is because of waiting upon Him and His will to be done.  This advice works well in everyday life.  Wait on the Lord.  Do not panic and jump ship.  Instead, pray, seek God, be calm, stay in the Word, move forward in faith, and wait on the Lord.  God will work it out to His glory and your benefit.

No doubt you are facing problems of one kind or another.  Trust God, be patient, and wait on the Lord.

God bless you today.