Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Perfect Family?

And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him. And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.  –Genesis 4:6-8 (KJV)

Last night at mid-week prayer service I said something that made the congregation smile.  I asked the question, “Does anyone here have a perfect family?”  I imagine everyone was pretty much thinking a similar thought; no, none of us have a perfect family because there has never been one.  All of us have family problems and even the most functional and happy families experience difficulties and crises from time to time.  My three sons are 19, 21, and 26, so we no longer have the issues involved with raising small children.  However, these ages present completely new and ever developing challenges.  I recall thinking to myself when our boys were younger, “No one has the problems in their families that I have.”

During those moments of exasperation, it was as though God would sort of thump me on the head and say, “You’re kidding, right?  I assure you, Dan, countless families have problems just like yours and some have even harder issues they are facing.” I would then place the situation in proper perspective and thank God for our sons and pray for God’s blessings in their lives.  The Lord would then usually take me back to the very first family He created.  By the fourth chapter of Genesis, Adam and Eve, the first couple, had disobeyed God, blamed someone else for it, been kicked out of paradise, had two sons, one of which murdered the other in a jealous rage.  Not a great start for the first family. 

If the first family God created had serious problems, yours then, is not unique or immune from the trials families often face.  I have no idea what sort of difficulties your family may be experiencing right now, yet I know the Lord is faithful and will be there to guide you through them.  Maybe you sometimes feel the same way about your family as I do about my favorite pro football team the Cincinnati Bengals.  They make lots of mistakes, lose more games than they win, and they certainly cause me a terrible amount of stress in the process.  I have considered how I might be better off with a new team.  I would like one that was better organized and knew how to win games.  However, this is my team, and come what may, I have decided to stick with them.

Keep trusting God, keep praying for your family (your team), and do not give up on them.  God can work wonderful miracles in those blessed and troublesome people we call our families.  Pray and believe God today for blessings in your family.

God bless you.