Tuesday, February 26, 2013

God’s Proactive Word to us



I cried unto the Lord with my voice; with my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication. I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.  –Psalm 142:1-3 (KJV)

One of the benefits of a devoted prayer time is we have the opportunity to voice our concerns to God and He is always willing to listen.  The psalmist spoke in terms of a complaint given to God, and I imagine you can relate to this.  Often during my prayer time I have found myself praying in a tone which sounds suspiciously like a complaint.  We would not want to devote all our prayers to complaining, but when we do the Lord is willing to hear us out.  This works well for us, because most people do not want to listen to our complaining. 

Anytime we find ourselves complaining to God, the word He gives will always be a proactive measure.  Even if God lets us know we are to continue waiting upon Him, this is in itself proactive.  We are doing something, even if waiting on the Lord.  All activity in our life does not cease because we are waiting on the Lord.  What does cease, or at least is supposed to, are our fears, worries, doubts, and sorrows.  God will empower us to go forward and be productively involved in our lives even as we wait upon Him for the fulfillment of His word.  The Lord will not tell us to do nothing.  He will not tell us to sit idly by while we could be involved in faithful service to Him.

Consider when Jesus ministered to people the word He gave was always proactive.  Jesus told them to “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of me (Matthew 4:19),”  “Arise and walk (Matthew 9:5),” “Go and do likewise (Luke 10:37),” “Go ye therefore and teach all nations (Matthew 28:19).”  I realize how the problems of life can become so overwhelming that we feel paralyzed with fear and doubt.  Our problems and the burdens we carry can seem insurmountable.  During those times it is acceptable to voice our complaint to God, for when we do so we can expect the strength God is willing to provide.  He will empower us to rise up from our sorrowful outlook and walk forward in bold, dynamic, and confident faith. 

No matter how great your problems are today, the Lord is willing and able to help you stand up and move forward.  This will be the power of His Spirit, which surpasses our strength for overcoming whatever we are facing.  Do not fret, do not worry, and cease from being afraid.  Jesus Christ is greater than any problem we will ever face.  Look to Him today.

God bless you.