Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Taking Time to Listen to the Voice of God

6…I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.  7Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.  8When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.  -Psalm 27:6b-8 (KJV) 

As a pastor I have had the experience of not only seeing myself on film, but also hearing my voice on tape.  Both situations make me most uncomfortable.  “Do I really sound like that?”  I think.  No doubt if you have ever heard your own voice on tape you had a similar feeling.  We can’t believe how we actually sound.  The other day I happened to see a morning news program in which a woman who had been deaf from birth was able to hear her own voice for the first time.  This miracle of medical science was accomplished through a process of electrodes connected to her brain and the inner workings of her ear. 

The effect on this woman hearing her own voice was one of tremendous emotion.  She was so overcome at the sound she immediately burst into tears.  I could not help but become emotional myself as I witnessed this remarkable event.  I considered how most of us hear our own voices every day, yet we have become so used to it that we do not even think about it, let alone become emotional over the wonder of it all.   

Know that when we call out or cry out to God He hears us.  The Lord is willing to incline His ear in our direction and take time to listen to what we have to say.  God never gets used to the sound of our voices.  Neither does He cease from being interested in what we have to say.  Likewise, we can take time to be still and listen for the voice of the Lord.  Some wag might ask if I am hearing voices in my head.  My answer would be no, just one; I listen for and hear the gentle, still, calming voice of God.   

Believe me when I say I am no super saint, if there even is such a thing.  I am simply a person of faith who speaks with the Lord and communes with His as friend to friend.  I highly recommend this as a daily pursuit.  Take time to pray and talk with God.  He will hear, and He will surely answer.  

Comfort, peace, hope, and joy will then follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment