Monday, October 24, 2011

The Evolution of the Wave

8For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.  9And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.  10As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.  -Galatians 6:8-10 (KJV) 

I loved southwest Virginia almost from the moment we moved here.  One of the features of this region which so endeared us to it is the friendliness of the people.  Folks here don’t seem to be in such a hurry as they are in some of the larger cities in which we have lived.  People are also willing to stop and pass the time of day in conversation.  Another manifestation of peoples’ friendliness is their willingness to wave at perfect strangers when passing them on the road.  I love driving by someone’s house on a clear summer day and waving to the people sitting on the front porch.  They don’t know me, yet they wave back as if I am an old friend.  You just don’t get this in larger cities. 

This brings to mind my visits to the country in eastern Kentucky when I was a boy.  My parents would sometimes take me along to visit the family who resided in Menifee County and I have many fond memories of those trips.  I remember riding with my uncle in his pick-up truck and I always was fascinated with the way he waved at everyone he passed on the road.  Yet, I could not help but notice that Uncle Orville didn’t always wave.  Instead, his wave to a passing motorist consisted of a subtle lifting of the hand from the steering wheel.  On other occasions he might only lift his index finger in acknowledgement of the other driver.   

Over the years I have wondered if maybe he and others simply grew a little weary of waving at everybody, so the wave evolved into this gentle lifting of the index finger.  It makes sense actually; waving frantically at every vehicle you pass on the road would wear anyone out.  Simply lifting a hand, or one’s index finger, seemed to suffice.  I point this out because as followers of Christ we can easily grow weary of serving the Lord day in and day out, month after month and year after year.  However, we are challenged in Scripture to not be weary in well doing.  Keep on serving the Lord and do not grow tired of sharing our faith. 

There are no term limits on the Christian faith.  We are in this for the long haul of life.  When Jesus called and invited us to take up the cross and follow Him (Matthew 16:24) this was intended to be a lifetime calling.  When you begin to feel weary in well doing take heart and seek the power available through prayer and time in the Word.  The Lord will strengthen and empower us to continue serving Him.   

Do not give up and do not give in.  Continue serving the Lord and continue shining His light.

No comments:

Post a Comment