Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Priority of Sharing the Gospel with Others

And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.  But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me…  -Acts 1:7, 8b (KJV) 

I have known for a long time that I need to keep a careful record of my schedule and upcoming events, meetings, and various other commitments, but for some reason I have trouble taking the time to write that information on a calendar.  Kind people have even provided me with those handy pocket sized weekly planners, and yet I still forget to write down important dates.  I have it in my head that I can somehow recall all of those events from memory.  That’s not too bright, I know, because all that information can start running together and sooner or later an important meeting gets missed.  I am good about writing down upcoming events on little scraps of paper which I then leave beside the keyboard on my computer.  Now if I can move those dates into my pocket calendar I will truly be on my way to being an organized person.   

Jesus said that there are dates and times that are not meant to be known to us, such as when exactly He will return.  That day will come, but the Lord clearly said that we do not know when that will occur nor are we meant to know.  I take comfort in knowing that we will meet the Lord; either Christ will come to us and we will meet Him in the air in the clouds and in victorious glory, or we will be called out of this world and will go to Him.  Either way we know that we will be with the Lord forever.  Therefore, we do as the Scripture says and “Comfort one another with these words” (I Thessalonians 4:18).  As Jesus’ followers our main emphasis is to be on the task of being His witnesses in the world.  Jesus stated that we will be His witnesses all over the world.  Wherever there are people we are to go to them and share with them the gospel of Christ. 

Our commitment to sharing Jesus with a lost world begins right now wherever we are.  We are called to share Christ with our families, friends, neighbors, co-workers, and anyone else with whom we come into contact.  When the light of Jesus Christ is shining from our lives the result is a desire to share that light with others. 

Pray today that the Lord will empower us to be His witnesses that others will receive salvation and will know the peace and joy Christ offers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment