Friday, February 26, 2010

The Powerful Encouragement of our Relationship With God

"Ah, Sovereign Lord," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord." -Jeremiah 1:6-8

We see in this passage that like some others who God called into His service, Jeremiah expressed his unworthiness.  He told the Lord that he was like a child; incapable of speech and accomplishing what God had called him to do.  In other words, Jeremiah was saying that God would do just as well to call a little child to do the job.  What intrigues me about this is how like that we are when God calls us to accomplish something for His kingdom.  We say things like, “Lord, I am just not up to the task, I cannot speak in front of people, I am not a spiritual person, and I lack the skills needed to do what you’re calling me to do.”
 Let me ask a question in response to such an attitude: When we think that way, are we not questioning God’s power?  Are we not greatly underestimating God’s ability to work in us and through us?  Of course we are.  Since when is God not capable of doing what He has said He will do?  Since when is the Lord God Almighty, the Creator of Heaven and earth, incapable of working His will in His followers?  That has never described the Lord.  He is able to do what He calls us to do – in us, through us, and despite our flaws and weaknesses.  We are simply instruments in the hands of the master.  We are called to place ourselves in His hands, be ready, be faithful, and let God work through us. 

Notice that God had a quick response for Jeremiah: Don’t say you are not able, for you will go to those to whom I am sending you, and you will say what I tell you to say.  When God gives us such a command we do well to heed and obey – without question and without hesitation.  God always encourages us to move forward in faith.  The Lord drove the point home in verse 8.  The KJV puts it like this: “Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with thee to deliver thee.”  I love this terminology which the Lord gives to the prophet Jeremiah.  Don’t be afraid of their faces.  You will recall the statement about how if looks could kill…I’d be dead on the floor, right?  Some people have the gift of giving a look that says clearly, “You don’t want to cross me, because I will verbally take you apart.  You may have grown up with a parent who could give that look as the need arose.  You may even be married to someone who can give that look.  For what it’s worth, I don’t have it.  I can never give that look.  It’s the same situation when I try to get angry and tell someone off.  My voice gets all high and whiny and sounds more like a comedy routine than a serious dressing down (Maybe that's not a bad thing).

God was reminding Jeremiah that the people he would be preaching to would not only give him that look, but they were prepared to take action to back it up.  The Lord reminded Jeremiah not to be afraid; of their looks or what they might do.  As the Lord encouraged and empower Jeremiah, so will the Lord help and guide us through any trial, situation and problem we will ever face.  Jesus calls us to reach out to a lost world with humility, grace, and compassion.  We need not fear those we are trying to reach for Christ because we have the Lord on our side. And if we have Him, then we everything – all we need.