Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Learning From Past Mistakes

26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered... 28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose... 31What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? -Romans 8:26, 28, 31 (KJV)

The above three verses are ones which I keep going back to again and again.  They remind me of how the Holy Spirit assists us with our prayer time especially during the trials we face.  Furthermore, all the circumstances of our lives, even the bad ones, can eventually become blessings.  And with the Lord on our side we will be empowered to face the toughest challenges of life knowing the Lord will bring us through.  Claim these promises from God's Word and you will face the challenges of the future with renewed confidence, boldness, and peace.

Notice verse 28 says “All things work together.”  It is not a matter of some of the circumstances of our lives working, but rather all things; all areas of our lives begin to work together when we are in Christ Jesus.  One aspect of this is how God shows us how what has happened in the past, even our mistakes, can work good in us today.  The devil likes to remind me of past mistakes (and I have plenty) and throw them up in my face as a reminder of how worthless I actually am.  God does not do that.  God never does that.  If I recall a mistake of my youth the Lord will remind me first of how I am forgiven, and secondly how I have learned from that mistake.  This becomes a part of the “all things” which the Bible is talking about. 

Even the saints of old had sins in their past for which they sought the Lord's forgiveness.  David, whom the Scripture refers to as man after God's own heart prayed, "Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O LORD" (Psalm 25:7).  God is not in the habit of dragging up our past mistakes and reminding us of them.  We are the ones who do that to ourselves.

Resolve today to stop beating yourself up over the past.  Claim the Lord's abundant forgiveness, walk forward in faith, and allow the Holy Spirit to teach us wisdom so we do not fall into these mistakes again.  Christ is merciful and He loves you - very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment