Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Being Careful With our Words

And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. -Ephesians 6:19, 20 (KJV) 

Many years ago before I went into the ministry and began preaching I worked at a warehouse in Dayton, Ohio.  In the next department from mine there was a dear Christian lady named Val who I spoke with on many occasions.  One day I came into this area and found there had been some sort of disturbance.  Something had happened which had upset Val and she had lost her temper and said unkind and unfortunate words to another worker.  I was told afterwards when she had calmed down Val said, “Where is Dan?  I hope Dan didn’t hear what I said.”  Knowing I too was a believer, Val was apparently upset over what I might think of her outburst.  I later spoke with her and assured since God forgives and understands, the least we can do is forgive one another. 

How many times have we opened our mouths only to deeply regret what we said?  James 1:26 says, “If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.”   The right words will lift one another up and exalt the name of Jesus, yet our words can also tear each other down.  Paul the Apostle’s prayer was that the Lord would empower him to speak boldly words which would exalt Christ and encourage those around him.  We are encouraged in God’s Word to guard our words carefully lest we utter anything which dishonors God and or harms another person. 

The more time we spend in God’s Word and the more we pray the greater will be our ability to manage what we speak.  The Lord is ever teaching us to be more like Jesus Christ is all areas of life.  Day by day we can become more like the Lord Jesus.  Are you tired of losing your temper, regretting what you say, and feeling like your words are getting you in trouble?  If so, then resolve today to begin walking daily in the power of the Holy Spirit.  The Lord honors our desire to live honorable lives before Him. 

Today, make your mind up to speak words which exalt Christ and reflect godly character.  Praise the Lord in all circumstances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment