Saturday, January 15, 2011

Letting the Lord Teach us Patience and Grace

Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.  –Colossians 3:12, 13 (NKJV) 

We might not think that putting in a new washer and dryer would consume the better part of a day, but that is what happened to me today.  A couple of weeks ago our dryer, a model I think might have come over on the Mayflower, finally died and we had to replace it.  Seeing how our washing machine was not in great shape either, we decided to go ahead and replace it as well.  Thanks to a sale at a local store we got a great deal and the new machines will hopefully last for the next 40 years or so.  Wishful thinking, I know. 

I started by cleaning out the washer / dryer side of the basement, which proved to be a bigger job than I had anticipated.  I had to take the items designated to be throw out down to the road for the trash pick-up.  This process also netted three bags of clothing items we no longer wanted, but were too good to throw away.  I took these down to the rescue mission as a donation.  The delivery of the new washer and dryer was right on time, and I then set about installing the new machines.  Quivering with anticipation, I replaced the old dryer hose, installed the 220 cord on the dryer, connected the hoses to the washer, and I was ready for business.  Or was I?  Those units had to be level, and I could not find my level anywhere.  A conversation with my son revealed that he had borrowed that item and had not returned it.  

Just as I was getting ready to go to my son’s house and retrieve my level, my other son informed me that his girlfriend needed a ride home and could we take her.  “Of course,” I sighed.  “I’d be glad to.” After dropping her off in Abingdon and stopping by my son’s house, I was ready to go home and get the new washer and dryer level.  That took a few minutes and they are ready to go.  Sadly, I was too exhausted to do any laundry. 

I am reminded all over again of the wonderful blessings of having Christ in my life who so freely provides patience and grace in all circumstances.  Without Jesus in my life I would surely be overwhelmed and frustrated when days don’t go as planned.   

The Lord understands, and He makes everything work out according to His plan.  Rejoice, for God’s plan is always best.

No comments:

Post a Comment