Friday, April 24, 2015

More Thoughts on the Power of Words

Pleasant words are like a honeycomb,
Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.  –Proverbs 16:24

I am continually amazed at the power of words.  What we say can cut like a knife or heal like a soothing balm.  Many of us recall what we were told as children about words and their power; “Stick and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.”  Ah, if only that were true.  I remember painful words spoken to me decades ago.  Sometimes those memories swim to the surface and we relive those sore moments.  To be fair, we remember nice words spoken to us as well, but those negative words carry sinister power.

Allow me to challenge you today to take to heart what God’s Word says about the words we speak.  Good words are indeed sweet when spoken to a friend or family member in need.  Consider also that the pain someone is feeling may not be visible at all.  No doubt we will encounter hurting people today, and yet their pain is all inside.  What we say might encourage them in ways we cannot imagine.  Your words today could hold life or death to another person.  Unkind and negative words fall effortlessly from our lips.  We hardly have to try.  However, the uplifting, helpful, kind, and healing words require energy and effort. 

Need a few examples to assist you today?  Try some of these:

I am praying for you today.

Don’t give up – God has a plan.

Life is worth living, so keep going.

You are a wonderful person and I am thankful for you.

Thank you.

Call me if there is anything I can do.

You get the idea.  Resolve to speak only good words today.  What we say helps others and even as we speak them we feel better.  Negative, hateful, critical, and mean words bring us and everyone around us down. 

Have you been hurt by words lately?  Need to get something off your chest?  Let me know how I can pray for you today.  As always, you may post anonymously. 

God bless you – it’s going to a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment