Sunday, February 16, 2014

Speaking Words of Faith and Praise



We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;  -II Corinthians 4:13 (KJV)

My grandfather had a saying; “Do not bother complaining; your friends cannot help you and you will make your enemies glad.”  There is great truth to the statement.  You have probably had the misfortune of spending time with someone who complained about nearly everything.  How did this make you feel?  Did you come away feeling uplifted or drained?  I believe you know the answer.  Being around people who complain incessantly has a way of quickly bringing us down from a good mood.  Personally, I dislike myself the most when I realize I am complaining.  Doing so brings me down and I know it does nothing for others.

On the other hand, when we speak words of encouragement, those around us are uplifted, strengthened, and bolstered in their faith.  Hopefully, they come away from their time with us glad rather than discouraged.  A verse the Lord has given me to help me speak good words of faith and encouragement is found in II Corinthians 4:13, “I have believed, therefore have I spoken.”  When I feel myself worrying and becoming discouraged, I seek to utter words of faith and praise to God.  The results are remarkable.  I begin to feel better about whatever problems I am facing and my faith grows in the process. 

I often minister to people who are so overcome with their problems that they rarely, if ever, speak any positive words.  My heart goes out to such persons, for I know how easy it is to be consumed with self-pity and sorrow.  Christ calls us, He compels us, to rise up out of sorrow and gloom and begin walking forward in victorious faith.

Think today about the words you speak.  Are you often complaining, negative, critical, or cynical?  If so, resolve with God’s help to speak words of faith and praise to God.  Others will see the change and will be encouraged to do the same, for they will see the light of Christ shining through. 

God bless you today.