Monday, September 19, 2011

The Gentle Call of God

(Background passage: I Samuel 3:1-10) 

And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.  -I Samuel 3:10 (KJV) 

As I have said in previous blogs, I grew up in the crowded suburbs of Dayton, Ohio and there were a number of interesting and colorful people in my neighborhood.  The house in which I grew up and the one behind it were separated by a narrow alley, and for a time there was a family who dwelt there and they had a son who went by the name of Butch.  From time to time we could hear the father summoning young Butch to come in for the evening meal. 

“Butch!  Time for supper.” Young Master Butch, obviously too distracted with other matters to be bothered with something as trivial as a family meal, typically did not appear.  The father would call him again. “Butch! (Louder this time) Come for supper Butch!” Around this time the father’s tone and volume would reach a dangerous crescendo; “Time for supper Butch!  I’ll brain you Butchie!” I always felt sorry for Butch at this point.  Whether the threat was ever carried out I cannot say.  Even to this day when we are together with family for Christmas dinner should I linger in coming to the table my brother will call for me and say, “Butch!  Time for supper. I’ll brain you Butchie!”  

The call of God is nothing like this aggressive and impatient summons.  Instead, God’s call upon our lives is gentle, kind, and patient.  God is not in the habit of threatening us should we not answer the call quickly enough.  Instead, the Lord will continually extend the invitation to respond in faith to the call. 

Do not think the Lord has never called you.  The Lord knows you by name and is reaching out that you might experience His grace and compassion.  Life is hard and will probably get harder.  In Christ there is the hope of a brighter day.  The call comes in the gentlest of whispers.  It’s the gentle tugging of the heart in which we feel the Lord’s blessed presence.  Do not turn Him away.  

Answer the call today.

No comments:

Post a Comment